Wednesday 7 November 2012

Confessions

It's fifteen minutes to midnight. I have my third semester exams in three weeks. Immediately after that I will be sitting for my first job interview. I have a thesis to work on, and to say that it requires me to brush up on my statistical skills and econometrics is putting it mildly. Altogether, I have a lot of pending work. However, I am writing my first post on this blog. Guess that makes me normal. Of course, I will get all the work done. I always do. Can't remember the last time I missed a deadline.

My experience with blogging has been mixed at best. My first attempt was around four years ago. Maybe five. Could be six. Nah, closer to five. Yes, I am digressing.

I began with a blog to showcase my ''awesome'' poetry. However, my understanding of the whole blogging shebang was so poor that it probably took me less than a minute to decide that blogging was a waste of time. And that was that. I think at this point I should add that I had registered myself on pretty much every blogging platform I had heard of. Yes, I was seriously pumped up for about 15 minutes.

It was the summer of 2010. The football/soccer world cup was around the corner, and I wanted to make my contribution to the whole circus. And so I started again. Spent a couple of minutes on reviving the old blog. Didn't care a bit about the aesthetics. Started writing. A lot. I started by giving a comprehensive overview of each team participating in the tournament. By the time I reached Ivory Coast, I was rather bored.

By the end of 2010, my blog comprised of the following: twelve team overviews, half-a-dozen poems, and a poll. Number of visitors to my blog? Zero. It didn't take me long to realise that my first serious attempt had been a spectacular failure. Quickly, everything was deleted to wipe the slate clean.

In late 2011, I chanced upon a friend's blog. Within a couple of days, I had written my ''first'' blog-post. Enjoyed it. Wrote a second one. Enjoyed that too. Re-posted some of my poems. Oooh yes, now we are getting somewhere. Then, promptly forgot about it for a good seven months.

My seven month sabbatical proved to be enlightening. Not because I have churned out posts at a dramatic rate since, but because I seem to have understood why I want to write a blog. Of course, there have been many misses in the recent past. Their number were such that I decided to shift to Tumblr. That kept me engaged for a couple of weeks. Closer to a month actually.

The scene at present is not what I had anticipated a few years back. I now have TWO blogs[as if managing one wasn't bad enough]. The Tumblr one is ninetyminutesofpopcorn.tumblr.com/. Purely for my artistic endeavors. This one, would be for everything. No more re-posting to make my blog look full. I shall not cater to the audience's tastes anymore.

Why do I blog? Good question. Initially, it was because I wanted to leave my mark on the internet. I had imagined people starting their days by checking my blog for the latest post, marveling at my eloquent words, agreeing wholeheartedly with my opinions. Don't want that anymore. Never in a million years.

It's very simple. I like writing. And other things. Mostly writing. And I don't mind if no one is reading what I write. I prefer it that way.

Will this blog exist this time next year? I don't know. Will people follow it? I couldn't care less.

Alright. I am tired. Going to watch some football.

1 comment:

  1. Siddharth, nice to see your work and writing. I personally feel you have some meaning in your work which a very few can understand ...just go ahead..

    ReplyDelete